Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 6 - part 1

I have never felt more disgusting. As I said yesterday, after my BS/WV wash/rinse yesterday I was feeling pretty grungy. Today was WO, I didn't immediately put my hair up in a ponytail. I waited and waited and WAITED for it to dry. After almost 4 hours of feeling like I had wet hair I realized it felt wet because it was just GRUNGY. Again..it didn't look anywhere near as bad as it felt...on my head..on my hands when I touched it. The more I thought about my hair throughout the day, the more my head itched.

I had to do something. All I could do at work was pony it up. Still, it wasn't feeling funky at the roots or hairline like I assumed it would, it was the underlayers of my hair. They just felt coated. I decided to go to Stop and Shop after work. Yes I am still committed doin no 'poo...but I had to try something else. Everything I 've read about this method said it is trial and error and everyone is different. Stop and Shop has a little section of organic hair/body care products. I knew Burts Bees make 98.3%(somewhere around there ) natural shampoo, with no SLS's. While I was there I saw Dr. Bronner's castile soap. It is 100% natural and I have seen some No 'Pooers who use it. They had the bottles but the dilution was like 2 tsp or tbl to 2 gallons of water! I didn't want to under dilute it to use on my hair. Thankfully they had a bar of Dr. Bronners castile soap(with lavender!).

Castile soap is a type of soap made exclusively from vegetable oil rather than animal fat or synthetic substances. The purists feel it should be made from olive oil but there's a wide variety of castile variants that use oil from plants such as coconut and jojoba. The simple nature of the soap means a lesser enviromental impact due to reduced waste stream during manufacture and also faster biodegradability. Yeah um...I put more oil on my hair. It's saponified oil(means it is made into soap) so hopefully that will make a difference.

The first thing I did when I got home while AJ was doing his homework was jump in the shower and wash my head with that soap. LATHERY LATHERY LATHERY!!! I was in lather heaven. I probably should have followed with a WV rinse, cause after the lather ecstasy, my hair no feel so good. Right now it is up in a towel, and I have to go get dinner ready. I will update later about the state of the hair under the towel.....

No comments: